Vespa rally 180 tuning

any suggestions on how to achieve a high torque tourer,looking for 120km/h top speed and cruising of 100km/h two up and loaded.

cheers jeff

thanks,do i need to mill out the crankcase mouth to fit a 200 cylinder kit?also what set up would you recomend to achieve my needs.

Hi !

I´m sorry, i don´t know about the milling for this combination.

But honestly, i guess that you will not arrive to your target 120 km/h with this solution.

You have to spend a lot of time and money to have a little bit more torque and top speed.

cheers

great,my scooter is a rally 180,which exhaust works best with this engine?

I bought a Rally180 in 1973, but I converted it to a Rally200, and after the conversion it would accelerate beautifully up to 120kph. Kept it until 1984 when it had done 100,000km. 

To fit the Rally200 barrel, I turned down the part of the barrel that slides into the crankcase, instead of modifying the crankcase. Then I fitted a Rally200 exhaust and carb, and converted it to electronic ignition. I was lucky to find a pranged Rally200 that was being broken up for scrap.

It was the best running two-stroke I have owned. I was disappointed with the following P200, and even more so with the PX200E.

Mike

Hi Jeff !

If your SS180 runs round about 100 Km/h in top speed it will be hard to get it to 120 with "original " tuning.

Because there are practically no tuning parts avalible.

If you want to have more torque and 120 top speed i guess you need to switch to a px 200 engine with a good road tuning.

Cheers

yes

thanks,i guess the easiest thing is to fit a new exhaust and cylinder exhaust flange and settle for less speed.

cheers jeff

nice one,my scooter is a rally 180,what exhausts work with this engine best?

I think we might have not understood each other,my scooter is a rally 180 not a ss 180.the induction/cylinders are different ,sip website says all the px 200 cylinders will fit so what are my options.

cheers jeff

Jeff

interesting thread, SIP sell a gran sport piston that can convert your 180cc clinder to 200cc, ive done it. It comes with 1.5mm chrome rings, good for constant high running speeds. You can also change the exhaust stub with another SIP part to be able to run 200cc exhausts. Also you can fit a T5 24g carb, all of these things will boost top speed, and avoid milling the crank cases. The only downside is you bore out a 180 cylinder, and they are hard to come by. If if were me i would look for a old worn out 180cc cylinder and convert it with the SIP piston and exhaust stub. oh one other thing, you can have a 200cc cylinder base turned down to fit the 180cc crank cases, that also works...SIP 200cc cylinders will NOT fit, the base stub diameter is too big...!!

Ian 

Jeff, 

Not quite, the skirt of the cylinder will be too big to enter the crankcase of the 180, you are back to the option of reducing the skirt diameter or opening the crankcase. On the new kits, especially the aluminium ones it may not be possible to reduce the skirt diameter, because it renders them too thin. I think if you went for a Polini iron kit this may be possible.

Ian 

Hi !

Thats a good idea !

Please notice that we´re developing a sip road exhaust

for SS180 [:D]

cheers

Curious, I have a Rally 180, and the standard 200cc cylinder has a base that is too big to enter the 180 crankcase, do the kits as you mention have a smaller diameter?

Ian 

Thanks,so lets get this right,I can use any of the px 200 type kits if the skirt of the barrel is removed without opening the crankcase mouth,is that right?

cheers jeff

Hi,

here you find our Rally 180 Cylinder with 200cc/12HP and good for about 115 Kph

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/de/products/zylinderkit+piaggio+by+sip+_41470600

Plug , jettting and play!!

regards

cheers,can you turn down the cylinder base on the gransport 200 or polini 208 iron kit,does it just require the barrel skirt to be reduced in width or width and length to fit the rally, if so  how much will it cost for sip to do this. 

Hi !

Do you mean a 200cc kit for the 180 enigne ?

cheers

Hi !

I´m sorry, i don´t know about the milling for this combination.

But honestly, i guess that you will not arrive to your target 120 km/h with this solution.

You have to spend a lot of time and money to have a little bit more torque and top speed.

cheers

Hello, 

you can fit any of the 200 cylinders on your Rally. I imagine you don't really care to keep your 180 cc capacity? The best way to get a torkey tourer is to fit a Pinasco 215/ SI 24 G/ T5 air filter(you probably have a SI 20 on your R180) and change your ignition for a Ducati electronic, SIP road and 100KM/H with your girlfriend up the hill becomes mighty....

Regards,

Stéphane.