Vespa 50S 1967 Speedometer cable and gear?

Hi, i’ve got a Vespa 50s 1967 round lamp.
Its got a speedometer but it doesnt work: misses a cable and something else…
What exact parts do i need to purchase?
thanks in advance

Hi there, you will all the parts you have listed if they are missing, replacing the cable is a must as they corrode on the inside, ensure you grease the inner cable before installing.

One drive gear fits on the end of the cable in the hole on the axle (long red type), the other drive gear is within the axle (short ) so have a look and see if its installed or damaged as they are plastic. Best to replace anyway. the part numbers are correct for a  V50 or similar, just check you have all the other parts already on the axle to hold the speedo cable in place.

Cheers

Dimetrios

thanks for the tips, i have finally recieved the nessesarry parts for my speedo to work : cable + drive gear and some screws…
Do you know any links on step by step explanations on Howto install a cable for speedo correctly ?
sorry i am a complete Vespa beginner and have a Vespa friend that helps me to tune my VEspa … but even he doesnt know howto install the speedo cable correctly … :frowning:
thanks for any tips or links
dimitri

www.scooterhelp.com is always good for this type of info.

The way I have done this before is to use the cable inner to feed up from the wheel end into the headset, once this has been completed put the outer over the inner from the headset and run to the wheel. Then remove the inner, grease up the cable and feed in from the top of the headset.

All done..

Hello to all Vespa Gurus and Very Happy 2007!

Here are the items i found in SIP shop to  make my speedometer work again, need Your advise.

Are they the right ones for my Vespa 50 S (1967) with round lamp and 4 gears ?

What else i might need to make my speedometer work?

1. Speedometer drive gear V50 V5A1 Art.-No. 79157000 10 COGS
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/pages/details.php?ID=10453&SID=3d932ed6ccc2b19e5f0a8b4c67b91902

OR

2. Speedometer drive gear Vespa
50/90/PV/ET3/PK50/PK50XL/S/  Art.-No. 15161400   8COGS
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/pages/details.php?ID=11612&SID=3d932ed6ccc2b19e5f0a8b4c67b91902

3. Speedometer Cable 50 Special  Art.-No. 20085000
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/pages/details.php?ID=10869&SID=3d932ed6ccc2b19e5f0a8b4c67b91902

i am a total Vespa beginner and would uppreciate ANY help very much

thanks in advance
Dimitri ( Nice, France)

http://www.allstyles-scooters.com/Diagrams_Menu_Lam_Ves.htm

Dimitri, look on this site and under smallframe 4th page will be the expolded views of the front end.

There are a few parts to get the speedo working at the axel end, the 2 drive gears you have found on SIP, the cable a rubber buffer for the cable to sit in, a flat washer and special screw and the retaining plate and screw, you need to pull apart the axel to check all the parts are installed and you may as well check the condition of all the bearings, look up one of the parts on SIP and have a look at what others have bought and recommended parts to get the right parts you need.

Make sure you use lots of grease when assembling to ensure all the part don't wear out too quickly.

Good Luck,

Dimetrios, Auckland, New Zealand

Dimetrios thanks alot that diagram sure helps :slight_smile: !
so do u think i have chosen the right parts for my Speedometer in my previous message?
peace - dimitri

Hi Dimistyle
my Vespa is back after a complete engine rebuilt to a bigger cranksgafr, transmittion etc. ( exxxpencive) i am happy with the engine + 115cc Pollini Kit , 19/19 carbu + reed valve

but there are still some issues left…

1. lousy 6V electronics ( not enough juice for a back red light) already posted a message on your 12V tread…

2. my round speedometer appeared to be just a decoration (as mechanic sad)

i am thinking on getting a new speedomeeter… but dont know witch one to get
and how to really install it as i already bought a cable and some screwes for it…
but could never find a complete list of parts ( KIT?) required and a guide for it…

looked on scooterhelp but didnt  see it there…
maybe i have overlooked it?

[quote user=„dimistyle“]

www.scooterhelp.com is always good for this type of info.

The way I have done this before is to use the cable inner to feed up from the wheel end into the headset, once this has been completed put the outer over the inner from the headset and run to the wheel. Then remove the inner, grease up the cable and feed in from the top of the headset.

All done..

[/quote]