Tires (tubeless or not?)

Hi guys,

question for you, I ride a Vespa PX125 (the last but one version, '98 I guess). I'm getting a lot of flats with my stock michelin tires and I'm thinking of spending some money on new wheels/tires.

If money was no objection, what would you buy for year round driving (rain, wind, potholed Belgian roads)? both wheels and tires.

Also, the tubeless rims, I'm reading mixed reviews about the bolts. Do I need to change anything on my PX to fit them? i'm not really too handy with the tools (changing a tyre I can do though). Also, if I fit two tubeless rims, can I keep a stock rim as my spare, in case of a flat? maybe a stupid question, but here it is anyway...

thanks for the info...

The bolts, is it that theyre too short as the rim base is wider. I doubt it to be an expensive mod. Id reckon any panel beater would do it, bring the bolts with you of course.

Now, you can still get flats with tubeless tyres.The benefit is safety for high speed malfunction.A slow leak instead of a "blow out"

The way they are repaired is by patches on the inside, or plugs, So the repair is easier. Removing them is definately going to be more difficult than the original(obviously) how much more im unsure. Ten inch tubed tyres ive dealt with require a hydraulic machine so you dont damage the rim.The rim is all important for these, as thats where they seal. The more they are removed the greater the potential rim damage.

The reinforcement is around the side wall. Not the tread.  This has to do with allowing the tyre to stay on at a low psi instead of "rolling off".

I honestly reckon the best compromise is to have a couple of spare cheapies stocked up in the garage.That way at least a puncture is a ten minute fix.

I would like to know why you would choose the tubeless as your method of resort

Regards Hutch

Personally I've stuck with the traditional split rims, there are advantages to switching to tubeless but there are also disadvantages as people have already said, for me the most important thing is to be able to do quick easy maintainance myself.

We just put some of these 'SIP Branded' split rims on my sisters PX200

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/products/rim+sip+for+vespa+50125pv_81000000

and they were really nice quality, and a really good price... The most common cause for punctures for me has been because of poor condition rims. If you keep them rust free and painted and put a new tube in when you change tyres you shouldn't have too many problems.... and at that price you can afford to put new rims on every few years or so, if need be.

I'm a fan of continental tyres, I don't think you can go wrong with them.. either the twist, scooty, or one of the traditional 'classic' treads... I've travelled many miles on michelin's too without problem.

I'm not trying to put you off going tubeless but just warning you that it is easy to damage the rim, tyre or both when fitting and if the seal isn't perfect they will leak air... so unless you have a tyre fitter that you trust locally and won't charge you a fortune to change tyres I'd consider it very carefully. In my friends experiences it is much more difficult than the SIP video makes it look!!

jordi,

can't really help you with the which tire part, when it drops into the 40's here in illinois - i put my scooters away for the winter.

i believe no mods are needed to mount the tubeless rims. and yes, you can just keep the stock spare in case of a flat. i would keep all of the stock nuts and washers in your glove box though because i don't know if they are interchangeable with the tubeless ones. the other problem you might run into is that the tubeless rims don't exactly fit in the spare tire area ( search in the community for " tubeless spare? " and  " sip tubless spare " (yes, the tubeless in 'sip tubless spare' is spelled wrong, but that's how it's posted.) to see what i mean - which means if you get a flat, you'll have to carry your flat tubeless rim/tire on a rack or your seat for the rest of the ride. if money isn't a problem - i would get three of the tubeless rims and make the simple mods to the spare tire area so you can carry the flat tubeless rim/tire if you need to switch... that's what i plan on doing when i save up the money.

as a side note, i heard that tires are a bit of a pain to mount on the tubeless rims. though the sip video doesn't make it look to hard.

hope that helps, heggie

ive got a t5 and changed the rear studs because they wasnt long enough, front ones were ok.

i'm pretty interested in seeing about the new pinasco tubeless split rims. they might help eliminate some of the tubeless tire mounting issues. has anyone gotten their hands on any yet?

i just put on some michelin S1s on my stella 2T about a month ago and i've been really happy with them. if they hold up, i will definitely buy those again.