T5 oversize small end bearing?

Hi all,

going to do some top end work on my T5 Mk1 over the next few weeks. It’s kitted (malossi 172) and has always been noisy and rattley but runs nicely.

Was going to replace the small end bearing while i’m in there… should i try an oversized bearing to reduce the rattle?

How do you reckon i can tell when the bearing is the right fit if i order a few different sizes? Can i tell by the feel of it?

Also, Sip lists a specific T5 Malossi small end bearing that is slightly different dimensions to the standard T5 small end (and about double the price!). Do you think this is the one to go for or am i just paying ££ for Malossi packaging?

Thanks guys and i hope someone can help out.

Cheers

Jonni

[:D]

HI jonni i am on my 3rd T5 172 malossi kit i have tryed the small end bearing that came with the kit . one from taffspeed and one from beedspeed they all rattled just how the kit is just have to live with it Gary

Thanks gaz and diablo, appreciate yr response.

Sounds like the sip one is the go…

As for timing Gaz, i’ve strobed it to about 14 degrees. This is a little wierd as the mark on the stator is now to the wrong side of the mark on the casing. ie. if you believed the casing / stator markings it would be about 18 degrees.
But i’m regarding the strobe as gospel so am pretty sure it’s all ok… and it runs well which is the real key innit.

Cheers for now,
Jonni

The one i have in at the moment is from taffspeed it is longer than the one that came with the kit still noisey . what have you got your timing set at not to do with this post just asking thanks Gary

HI jonni i am on my 3rd T5 172 malossi kit i have tryed the small end bearing that came with the kit . one from taffspeed and one from beedspeed they all rattled just how the kit is just have to live with it Gary

Its not the bearing thats noisy. Most T5s have a large piston to bore clearance and its the piston rattleing in an ally barrel that causes the noise. Rode one for thousands of miles like this no probs. If it really bothers you have a look on the top of the cylinder and it will say somewhere A,B.C. If its A get a B piston etc. The small ends are wider from sip so they cant move inside the conrod eye. Hope this helps