T5 mudguard on px disc

Am wanting to put a T5 or T5 style mudgaurd on my PX disc. One dealer in the Uk told me it would need some serious modifications to do this. But the carbon fibre ones on the SIP website sound like they will fit straight on to a PX.

Can I put one of these onto my PX disc? Will I need to make any modifications to anything? Which do you think is the best mudguard?

I am also fancying a T5 spoiler anyone know how easy it would be to retro fit one of these?

Cheers

Dan, cheers for your reply - that’s exactly what the dealer told me although they made it sound major. Was this because they had no stock…? drilling for the brake hose isn’t a problem, but what do you mean by the side fixings? Is this the main fixing point to the steering column or the single screw in the side where most people put their tax disc? or something else completely that I am totally ignorant of?

Jim

I DON’T KNOW OF A WAY TO STOP THE SPEEDO CABLE RUBBING THE FORK LEG, I THINK IT IS ANOTHER QUIRK OF THE VESPA DESIGN, THE ONLY WAY MIGHT BE TO GET A LONGER CABLE WITH ENOUGH SLACK IN IT TO BE ABLE TO RIG UP A WIRE (OR WHATEVER) BRACKET TO HOLD IT AWAY FROM THE LEG, BUT STOCK ONES ARE TOO SHORT TO DO MUCH WITH.

around croydon area bit far to pop round and give you a hand

Oh before anyone thinks I am a softee, and that Devon and Dorset are next to each other. The trip to Woolacombe should be 116 miles from my house, but with my scenic detour/shortcut it was 191 miles and took me 5 1/2 hours as I am still running my scooter in. I’m sure I saw werewolves as I went over Exmoor.

the t5 mudgaurd does need some modifications but only a little, all you have to do is to make a hole for the front brake hose and then it will fit straight on. the only other thing is that the side fixing holes do not line up as it is higher on a t5 all this requires is a small bracket or u could just leave it. I think this is the same for the carbon fibre mudgaurds. Happy fitting

hi i didn’t need to drill mine as it was standard kit, but you will be able to mark the holes to drill in your legshields as the spoiler will have them.

OH YEAH, I AM IN DORSET, NEAR POOLE.

Well you certainly earn my respect - it’s one thing fettling a bike to go faster / look better, but another thing entirely when you are fettling simply to be able to physically / legally ride one.

Jim

yes jim have a few p200, small frame with a 210, pk, and whats left of a 150 super and a p125. what area u in.

To be honest fellas you’ve both been a lot of help. More than I expected! I’ve struggled to get information on this from anywhere else.

Will update you when I get a bit further along.

the reason I’m doing this apart from the desire to make my moped look a little more ‚trick‘ is that at the end of the season after brid / cala Gran I’m taking the steering column out to have it powder coated as the speedo drive cable has rubbed the paint off and it got a bit rusty - want to put a stop to it before it gets too far. While the column’s out I thought I may as well take the opportunity to spice up the mudguard!

Here’s something else you may have an idea for - how can I stop the speedo cable rubbing on the fork leg - I could do with a little cable holder like lammy’s have…

Cheers again

Jim

YES MATE I WAS AT WOOLACOMBE, I HAVE NOT BEEN AS COLD ON A BIKE AS THAT FOR YEARS, I WAS TOLD OF A SHORTCUT OVER EXMOOR BY A GUY IN A PETROL STATION IN TAUNTON, AND GOT LOST SO IT BECAME A 65MILE SCENIC ROUTE. I PUT MY LML IN THE CUSTOM SHOW, BUT DIDN’T GET ANYWHERE, I DIDN’T KNOW WHEN THE JUDGES WERE COMING AND WAS IN THE SHOWER WHEN THEY CAME SO THE SEAT WAS DOWN ON MY BIKE AND THEY COULDN’T SEE THE AIRCRAFT FILLER & EVERYTHING ELSE PROPERLY. STILL LIVE & LEARN, I WILL KNOW BETTER FOR NEXT TIME. YOU CAN SEE MY BIKE IN TEZZAS WEBSITE (www.scooter-scene.co.uk) AT REVIVAL SCOOTERS OPEN DAY AND WOOLACOMBE PICS, OR LAST MAY’S SCOOTERING OR THE CURRENT CLASSIC & MODERN SCOOTERIST SCENE AND THE NEW MAG THE SHED WHEN THEY WERE AT REVIVAL.

It was the furthest I have ridden on 2 wheels for nearly 2 years, since having both operations. I had to prove to myself I could do it, and I am glad I did, but bugger me, I had the flu bug that has been doing the rounds for the week before and on the thursday it settled on my throat, I thought it wasn’t too bad so I decided to go on friday and I got so cold and wet on the way that by the time I got there I could barely talk or swallow, I spent the 2 days there hardly eating cos I couldn’t swallow, I was prepared with exta painkillers and spent the weekend out my box on Tramadol & Amytriptilene. Got worse through the weekend and ended up having the whole next week off college and couldn’t talk for 3 days, all I ate from sunday to thursday was 3 tins of soup and lost 1/2 a stone. I am not daft and would not have gone if I felt bad, it came on so bad so quick it totally caught me out. When I arrived the guys on the gate nearly had to help me off the scooter, I went in the bar and got some coffee at the food hatch and they thought I was gonna pass out, they nearly phoned an ambulance. As I started to warm up the skin etc around the titanium plate in my wrist heats up with the blood flowing through it but the plate takes longer to heat up and it starts to burn and hurt, I was in a bad way, and the catering staff gave me a bowl of hot water to put my hand in, as it is the best way of heating the plate, bloody doctors never told me it would act like a weather vane, I can feel it in hot weather but cold weather is worse.

Just have the PX200 - would like a small frame / T5 / 'nother p2 to play about with / Lambretta etc, but space is at a bit of a premium.

I am in York area - what about you?

PERSONALLY I DON’T LIKE VESPA MUDGUARDS, THEY`RE BIG, UGLY AND I THINK IT IS A DIM DESIGN IDEA TO HAVE TO COMPLETELY STRIP DOWN THE WHOLE FRONT END TO REPLACE IT IF YOU DING IT. I HAVE ALWAYS CHANGED MINE, I USED TO USE LAMBRETTA ONES AS I LIKE THE SHAPE, BUT NOW I PREFER THE SIP GARELLI ONES, THEY LOOK WELL TRICK FITTED.
BUT A WORD OF ADVICE FOR WHEN YOU POWDER COAT YOUR FORKS, GET THE ALLOY LINK REMOVED AND DONE SEPARATELY AS THE HEAT OF THE BAKING OVEN MAY DAMAGE THE RUBBER SEALS IN THE LINK, OR WHEN THEY ARE BLASTED GRIT MAY GET IN AND DAMAGE THE PIVOT (ANY GOOD COATER SHOULD BLAST THEM FIRST TO PREPARE THE METAL FOR COATING).

Adrian, cheers for the advice, you seem to have been busy thinking things up for me…

Dorset eh? Did you go to Woolacombe Rally a few weeekends back?

Will make sure all moving parts are removed before blasting / spraying. Cheers for the tip!

Was thinking about fixing some kind of clip on to the fork to keep it away, it only needs to be kept a couple of mil off, just to stop it rubbing. I could put some kind of self adhesive patch on, but previous experience tells me these just get washed off by rain, soap, mud etc.

Yes, having to mess about removing the steering column just to take the mudguard off is a major pain. I’m trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. It’s the ugly seam down the middle I don’t like, at least the t5 guard is nice and sleek, although not as sleek as the garelli ones, but they are a bit too minimal for me!

HI, IT WILL BE EASY ENOUGH TO FIT THE MUDGUARD, JUST COPY THE SLOT FOR THE BRAKE HOSE FROM YOUR PX ONE, THE BRACKET IS LOWER ON PX FORKS, I GROUND MINE OFF AND REPAINTED THE FORKS AS IT IS NOT REALLY NEEDED. THE T5 SPOILER BOLTS ON WITH 4 M5 BOLTS/SCREWS AND 2 SMALL SELF TAPPERS AT THE FRONT, I PUT AN ALLOY FLOOR KIT ON MINE AND THE LIP THAT SITS OVER THE FOOTBOARD RUBBERS WAS TOO TALL THEN SO I USED A STANLEY KNIFE TO TRIM THE TOP BIT OFF SO I JUST HAVE THE SPOILER BIT LEFT, I JUST SANDED THE EDGE WITH WET & DRY TO TIDY THE CUT BIT UP.

Cheers, well that sounds easy enough, presumably with the spoiler you had to drill the floor to fasten it on? Do they come with any fitting instructions? I’m just entering the world of scooter customisation, and I don’t want to ruin anything in an attempt to make it better…

Jim

Woolacombe was a good rally, had a top time, took ages to get there / back and (don’t tell anyone) we went in the car 350 miles or so!

Will have a look at the pictures!

Jim

I thought I recognised the LML - are you the fella that scootering did part of an article about? The keep on keeping on one?

Like the garelli guard

sounds like a bit of a nightmare journey!

Jim