Super unleaded?

At the moment I’m using regular unleaded petrol in my 1966 Sprint. Is it better to use Super unleaded petrol or does it not make any difference at all?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers
KK

I personally dont think it makes enough of a difference to use Super unleaded, it does not have a much higher octane rating than Regular unleaded. It might benefit a highly tuned motor slightly, but if you want to improve your fuel you would do better to buy some kind of octane booster/ fuel additive from a garage/car accessory shop. But again they are more gimmick than real bonus. I have found one of the best things is to use good old Redex once a month just to keep the engine clean (when I got my Kawasaki GPz 1100 in 1996 it had been stood for a while and the fuel injectors were gummed up by stale fuel and it was only firing on 2 cylinders. All it needed was a flush with Redex and it cleared as I was riding through town with an almighty cough & a bang, six foot flame from the exhaust and the bitch took off, nearly chucked me off the back & released the full 200hp from the 1200cc drag tuned motor, when I got home & changed my pants I was hooked) So if you have a standard motor you are fine sticking to Regular Unleaded and a good 2 stroke oil, if you have a tuned motor you can try Super Unleaded and an octane booster and the best oil you can afford but I dont think you will notice a difference. In my experience additives work best with four stroke engines, but Redex can help to keep an engine clean which can save time de-coking a 2 stroke. What will help your engine most is to use the best quality 2 stroke oil you can afford more than the fuel grade.

Keep running on unleaded, to succesfully run on super-un you will want to alter your compression ratio and timing, then youll get to a petrol station that aint got it and your scoot will run like a bag o shit. unleaded is available everywhere, super-un isnt. We cant get it for 24 miles here. (or the super-un). Although the gains are significant, its also 10p a litre more. Better off getting your fuel from a recognised petrol company than a supermarket filling station aswell. They really do get some rank fuel. If i could make a choice id run shell all the time but alas not to be in this town.

Thanks for the advice boys. I’ve always used quality fuel and not supermarket shite but I will stick to the unleaded from now on as you both mention.
I’ve been using Putoline synthetic 2-stroke oil which is expensive but quality so I’ll keep using that unless you can recommend something better. I don’t mind spending money on decent oil.

Cheers
KK

I aggree with BEERACE, get your fuel from a good national company so you know you can get it anywhere and avoid supermarket garages like the plague, I know a guy that works at a refinery and he told me that the supermarket tankers get fuel from the same tanks as the fuel company tankers but the supermarkets mix in additives and thinners to make more profit (they call it cleaning agents to protect your engine and the environment but it is profit based) I also know a guy that drives a supermarket tanker (not naming names TESCO) and that his bosses have told drivers not to use their own diesel in the lorries cos it is shite.

Just for one bottle only, and Im convinced you will all be hooked, seek out MORRIS’S MLR2 ,PREMIX OR INJECTION. Try it and see!