Setting up 26mm carb on T5

Hi i have just fitted a 26mm carb on my T5 also has malossi kit and scorpion pipe on scooter the carb came with 120/100 air calibrator be4 50/100 idle jet i have put in 125 main jet the mixture screw is 2.5 turns out the scooter starts ok as soon as you give it some throttle it splutters then dies please help if i have to put in a bigger idle and air will i have to cut them down to fit with air filter on Thanks Gary[:dance1:]

hi i phoned kegra today they told me to put the same jets that the px 200 has in it so i have borrowed my brothers and will see wht happens . Jonni i payed £25 +vat brother has account with V E spares very handy chiselspeed sell them with jets to suit your scooter or about £45 to £50 + postage[:dance1:] [:dance1:]

Hi Novista

I don’t know what the standard setting on a T5 is but Gary’s set up is non-standard anyway. I can’t see how a mixture screw can have have a standard setting it could only be a starting point. I only know what works in my setup: 26SI, Pinasco 180, Sito Plus. Bought the carb from SIP when all of the UK dealers were out of stock it came with a 55/120 slow running, 190 air corrector, BE4 mixer and I changed the 118 main to a 125 and it’s fine. About one turn out on the mixture screw.

I think Master Curare’s advice would be useful here as I know nowt about setting up Mallossi kits!

AK

even when you give gas or just at idle?
Check if something is blocking the air filter or if it is dirty, or to make it faster in its responsability take the filter out and see what you have.

If nothing changes take the carb out and open it to get access to the float assembly. Check if the float can move freely with its needle.
I strongly suspect something wrong here…

If the problem still there then I would consider the coil. If somebody could lend its coill to see how things get would be perfect and no rick to spend money if not necessary. If with another coil it it is better you know what to do.

Right this is what i have done taken carb off and striped it cleaned it with carb cleaner and air line what the problem was i think the float needle was sticking not letting the petrol through properly so i have fitted a carb top with float and needle from my 24mm carb just taken scooter for 10 mile ride seems ok .Had a word with martin from chiselspeed today he said put the t5 jets back in try 122 and 125 main jet and see how it goes what they do with the idle jet is they drill it out from the bottom of the jet he is sending me the right drill bit cost the great sum of £1 .I have 125 main in t the moment mixture screw is 2 turns out havent got much petrol to take for a good blast will hope to sort main jet out this weekend will keep you posted Gary[:dance1:] [:drink:]

if you pull the choke out a little, how it goes?

UPdate right to night i drilled out the idle jet mixture screw 2 .1/4 turns out 125 main jet might change to 122 main jet after more miles will see how it goes 120 air be4 50/100 idle drilled out have had scooter running for about 10 minutes in garage seems ok no flat spot when you give it some throttle like before will give it run in next few days then update you Gary

Hey Gaz,

Where did you get yr carb from?? I’m interested in doing the same (finally bought a new 172 kit after the nightmare i had with a second hand one a few months ago).

I bought a 26mm spaco (india) from a guy on ebay but when it arrived it turned out to be only a 24mm (apparently they messed up his shipment at the factory or something - hmmmm, don’t beliieve the label on the box! get out yr ruler! - he’s going to take it back).

Anyway, the question is (!) where did you get it and how much (if you don’t mind). Sip seem to be charging about £77 + vat which sounds a bit pricey for me tight pockets!

Sorry not to be able to help out with yr jetting… but i’ll be keeping a close eye on the thread!

Cheers.
Jonni

Original von anthony-kell: Two and a half turns is quite a long way out. Then again maybe you've already played around with this.

I thought that was pretty standard?

Hi Gaz7!
I’m thinking about same set up. Are you using 26/26G or E?
Have you done any changes on inlet ports, or is it only a „bolt-on“?

hello,

I have just made a slight mod in the carb set up I’ve previously posted. I saw you run with a Scorpion pipe…

it stops

Right this is what i have done taken carb off and striped it cleaned it with carb cleaner and air line what the problem was i think the float needle was sticking not letting the petrol through properly so i have fitted a carb top with float and needle from my 24mm carb just taken scooter for 10 mile ride seems ok .Had a word with martin from chiselspeed today he said put the t5 jets back in try 122 and 125 main jet and see how it goes what they do with the idle jet is they drill it out from the bottom of the jet he is sending me the right drill bit cost the great sum of £1 .I have 125 main in t the moment mixture screw is 2 turns out havent got much petrol to take for a good blast will hope to sort main jet out this weekend will keep you posted Gary[:dance1:] [:drink:]

UPdate right to night i drilled out the idle jet mixture screw 2 .1/4 turns out 125 main jet might change to 122 main jet after more miles will see how it goes 120 air be4 50/100 idle drilled out have had scooter running for about 10 minutes in garage seems ok no flat spot when you give it some throttle like before will give it run in next few days then update you Gary

anthony tryed turning the mixture screw made no diffrence

hello,

I would use to start the following carb set up:

main 122 (get a spare 120. You already have a 125)

slow 55 (get a spare 52)

mixer BE3

air screw 2 + 1/4 turn out
give it a try and let us know if any better.

hi changed to 160 air be 3 122 main cant get hold of 55/100 idle jet yet tryed my brothers idle from his px 200 which is 160/55 no good starts up then dies will hope to get 55/100 tomorrow then try that then let you know thanks Gary

26/ 26 G no porting just bolt on

Gary

I’m no expert but that is quite a rich slow running jet you could just try turning the mixture screw further in a quarter of a turn at a time until you achieve the fastest tickover. Two and a half turns is quite a long way out. Then again maybe you’ve already played around with this.

AK

happy you did it!

I’ve said I strongly suspected the float assembly and float needle.
Good that you, even though already stripped your carb once, you did it again. This saved you a lot of trying the wrong things.
Now it is time to set the carb correctly.
You could try the set up I gave you in the previous post, and if anything wrong just let us know, maybe we will be lucky once again.