Selector rod

Hi,

Just went to put the selector box back together on my px 125. I went past 4th gear on the handlebars and engaged the pivoting unit with the selector rod, I then turned the gears on the handlebars to pull the box onto the studs…the box seats onto the case properly but when i now try the gears on the handlebars they won’t turn.
I took it apart again and noticed that the selector rod end (the disc) was bent. I don’t recall it as being bent went I first removed the box.
Could this be the problem? Is it possible to straighten it? If not, and I need a new rod, is it a big job?

Cheers

Grant

Hi,

Yes, the disc section at the end of the rod is bent, the rod itself is straight and looks ok…imagine what a beer bottle cap looks like once you’ve opened it…well it’s like that…OK…maybe not a good example!! To be honest I didn’t notice or pay much attention when I removed the box so I don’t know if it was like this already. Hopefully will have a new rod here tomorrow.

Is there a procedure i should follow to get the box back on and gear selection operating properly?

Grant

Grant, the end/ disc , to work correctly should be true to the rest of the shaft. „Pulling“ the selector box on the way you descrided will not damage the selector rod so you mat have done it another way. It is an easy fix but you will have to be carefull. Be aware when getting a new shaft there are two types. Remove the selector box, pull the shaft out as far as possible operate foot brake and secure, you can wedge a piece of wood or similar under the footboards between them and the pedal. Remove the offending shaft careful not to disturb the cruciform. Fit new shaft (I use a small amount of medium loctite). Refit selector box, JD.

Curare, Beerace

Thanks for all your help. Hopefully I’ll get this thing working…really good to know that you guys are out there.

Grant

Thanks for that. Glad to hear that i won’t have to split the case. Any thoughts as to how the rod came to be bent?

hello,

I think beerace gave you a preatty clear explication, but maybe said in another way it will make it clearer for you.

1st do all the classical anti voo- doo rituals that you know,
then:

handlebar well beyond 4th

selector rod pulled all out in its farthest position.

Pivoting block from gearbox on the selector rod groved part.

turn the handlebar to 1st.

It is necessary that you put the scooter in a way that allows you to moove the rear tyre or be ready mooving it off its stand to moove it. This is necessary to slide out the selector rod. You can do small tyre movements and pull the selector rod at the same time of this movements.

then you have to fit the pivot metal part of the gearbox (put same grease on ) in the space of the selector rod, without pushing the selector rod in a lower gear section it has to rest in its farthest position.

I hope it is clearer. I find it difficult to explain this operation.

Grant, the end/ disc , to work correctly should be true to the rest of the shaft. „Pulling“ the selector box on the way you descrided will not damage the selector rod so you mat have done it another way. It is an easy fix but you will have to be carefull. Be aware when getting a new shaft there are two types. Remove the selector box, pull the shaft out as far as possible operate foot brake and secure, you can wedge a piece of wood or similar under the footboards between them and the pedal. Remove the offending shaft careful not to disturb the cruciform. Fit new shaft (I use a small amount of medium loctite). Refit selector box, JD.

hello,

bent? it is really strange…
You could try, with carefull turning, to give the bent side that has more space, to the selector slide (I don’t know how to call it, but is the little pivoting metal part from the selector box that has to fit in the space below the selector rod disc), sliding the selector box at a certain angle,following the instruction beerace gave you.
Maybe you could still use it.
bent? it is really strange. You should block the selector road and tapping hard at the disc or same woo-doo.