Removing front brake drum?

I tried to remove the brake drum (the part where brake disk is attached) of my disk brake PX in order to renew the bearings. I opened the nut, but I cannot remove the drum from the bike.

Is there some easy tricks how the drum can be removed? I think using a hammer to get it off is not a good idea. Another idea I got is attaching a rim halve to the drum and using a car brake drum puller to it. Is there better ways to do that?

Ok, I got it off. I attached a rim halve to the hub, then used that big three leg puller to take the hub off. I didn’t have to put much force to the puller to get it off, but hub was so tight that it could have been impossible to get it off otherwise.

Original von gaz7: you say drum do you mean the wheel hub with the disk fitted to it once you have undone the nut and taken of the caliper as well some times you will have to go round with a rubber hammerif no rubber hammer hold some wood the hit the wood with a metal hammerand tap the hub off with light taps keep going round like this it should come off when this is off the caliper holder is held on with a circlip as in earlier post hope this helps .Gary

Yes, I mean the hub is the part I cannot get off from the axle.

To which part of the hub I should bang with the rubber hammer ? I think I should not bang to the brake disk as it might get twisted.

You have disconnected the caliper?[?[]
Hello ADE, how are you![:D] nice to see you at exmouth!

you say drum do you mean the wheel hub with the disk fitted to it once you have undone the nut and taken of the caliper as well some times you will have to go round with a rubber hammerif no rubber hammer hold some wood the hit the wood with a metal hammerand tap the hub off with light taps keep going round like this it should come off when this is off the caliper holder is held on with a circlip as in earlier post hope this helps .Gary

Did you remove the circlip that sits under the nut? It won’t come off just by removing the nut.

Original von adriannewnham:
Did you remove the circlip that sits under the nut? It won’t come off just by removing the nut.

ScooterBoyWorld SC

No, but I thought that the circlip just holds the ball bearing in hub and so it is not necessary to remove it in order to remove the drum. Or is it? I don’t understand how it holds the hub in axle.

Caliber has been also disconnected. It just seems that hub bearings are so stuck to the axle that I cannot remove it.

The best idea I came up so far is to attach rim halve to the drum and use this kind of big puller to take the hub off:

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/brakes/pics/drum_puller.jpg