PX200 pinking problem

hi

I’ve got a PX200 and i’ve got a problem with it pinking, the engine is standard apart from a HP4 and a scorpion exhaust, it seems to be running ok, ive put a 118 main jet in, and drilled a hole in the air filter above the jet, the plug looks a nice brown colour, the timing it set between the A and IT marks on the casing it has always been there since I got it, I tried it on the A (px200 mark) and it heat seized, I heard that the timing might need retarding if if pinks, im not sure if thats correct

Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Scott

I’m not sure why you run the HP4 on there,seem’s a bit unnessesary to me.

I’d try the timing slightly back from what you have and perhap’s tr a 120 main jet in there.

Also,check your plug for the correct gap and you may want to run a cooler one.Has the 'head been skimmed at all?

I don’t know if this is caused by the flywheel but it could be.

I think im sorted, I retarded the timing to just before the A and gave it try last night, and it seemed a different scooter, much more smooth than before, it still pinked very slightly, I didnt check the plug to see what colour it is so that the next thing im going to look at,
im going to get the stobe out and check the timing to get it spot on,

again thanks for the advice

Scott

Hi I know a few people with standard p2s that are having pinking problems and havn’t been able to get to the bottom of the problem. Try measuring your squish clearance. P2s run a really high one of 2mm+. Also measure your timing with a strobe. Scooterhelp website is good for instuctions. I suspect that piaggio have let the quality of all their components slip in recent years which possibly includes ignition components. Keep us posted!

Original von JuanK: I'm not sure why you run the HP4 on there,seem's a bit unnessesary to me.

I’d try the timing slightly back from what you have and perhap’s tr a 120 main jet in there.

Also,check your plug for the correct gap and you may want to run a cooler one.Has the 'head been skimmed at all?

I don’t know if this is caused by the flywheel but it could be.

If it’s got tit’s or tyre’s there’s trouble ahead.

Thanks for the info, i have various plugs to try so i’ll try a colder one, the head isnt that old so it hasnt been skimmed, i did have a 120 main jet in but it didnt seem to go as well as, I will try it again now i can tune the carb properly as ive took the starter motor off,
If the timing is set between the A and IT marks which way is retarding it? I have the strobe and the timing disc its about the only thing i havent done on a vespa

Again thanks for all the advice, I’ll try everything and keep you’s posted

Thanks

Scott