PX rear brakes lock up?

My PX125E has a problem with the rear brakes, they tend to lock up the back wheel at any speed so becomes very dangerous when needing to stop fast at motorway speed 80Km++. [:D]

The brakes are standard so no mods. The front suspension is a bit soft so the scoot also bows down when the rear brakes are applied…any ideas[:look:]

[:dance2:]

Bump[:dance2:]

I have taken the rear brake shoes off this morning and found one side of the brake shoes with a lot of scuffing, I have filled the edges down as suggested by Leif and re installed, hopefully test drive soon as the the rear tyre is being replaced as well as few other thing to pass the WOF in NZ (MOT).

I report back if this has fixed the problem.

Rear brake problem cured, filled the edges of the new shoes that were installed by previous owner and release the brake cable a little until the shoes were sitting in the closed position, put the drum back on and adjusted the brake cable again, hey presto[:D]

Thanks Leif, I’ll check it out [H]

Sounds like an easy fix to a dangerous situation, out with the tools again[:rolleyes:]

Original von dimistyle: Bump[:dance2:]

Try riding while dragging the rear brake a little. This happened to mine temporarily on the way for it’s MOT…typical it failed on excessive grab. dragged the brake along the road and it was fine again, no idea what caused it.

This happens if the radius of the brake drum is smaller than the radius of the brake shoe. Check and file down the ends of the brake shoes if needed.

Leif

The reason I had the same problem was that I replaced a worn brake drum and did not replace the brake shoes. The brake shoes was then shaped to a bigger radius than the new drum.
You from NZ? Nice part of the world. I lived in AUS for tree years, many years ago…

Leif

[:dance1:] [:dance1:]

Rear brake problem cured, filled the edges of the new shoes that were installed by previous owner and release the brake cable a little until the shoes were sitting in the closed position, put the drum back on and adjusted the brake cable again, hey presto[:D]