New top end needed

Well i think its time to change the malossi 166 as it seems to be losing a bit of top end and its getting a distinctive rattle that tell me its past its sell by date…so what i need off you guy’s is a recommendation…polini or pinasco…its gonna be used for short burst’s around town and a bit of long distance and i have no experience with these kits so any help is appreciated.[:dance1:]

yes, if you like the Malossi high rev power I don’t think you will be satisfied using the other kits.

…go for a Polini then. It will be more rideable.

Original von JuanK:
Rebore it and get next sized up piston.

If it’s got tit’s or tyre’s there’s trouble ahead.

can you rebore the 166 malossi? any idea on prices?

Scott

Rebore it and get next sized up piston.

Thats all i needed…cheers guy’s.
So what work does the polini need before i fit it…?

Chamfer the barrel port’s.

I don’t remember much about the transfer port’s so hopefully they won’t be smaller on the Polini so you can match them up.

If I’m not mistaken,I think you can use a Suzuki 185 piston in them, when things go tit’s up , with a little creativity.

I’ve no experiance of this though,a friend of a friend was talking me through it.But we were ***ed.;D

can you rebore the 166 malossi? any idea on prices?

Scott

Yes mate,it's an iron barrel.Only the 172 and 210's have nicasil plating.

[;)]

As for a rebore I’d ask Armstrong’s as they sound very reasonable with their pricing.I’d think in the £20 range?

Your biggest cost is going to be your new piston but that’s still much cheaper than a new kit.

Yeah,what do you expect?Norrie C*nt run’s VE.

Cheers but i think i may be getting old…i love the malossi for its high rev,s but it aint going down too well with the locals and i think i need something a bit more rideable.
i dont mind a drop in power…i just need a change…[:D]

Hi Vespamalossi

I see you in newcastle,

We got a polini 152 for our mk1 T5 and the ports were well rough, we took it to Armstrongs on westgate road and they Chamfered them and matched the standard head for us it was about £10-15 but it was done very well and worth paying for peice of mind.

Scott

Your biggest cost is going to be your new piston but that’s still much cheaper than a new kit.

Thats cheap from the others i have seen…VE uk are selling them for £73.[:drink:] [:smokin:] [:drink:] [:smokin:] [:drink:]

I love the Pinasco as a bolt on but as Curare said you’re going to notice a massive differance with it.The Polini is great provided you do a bit of fettling before you fit it,but again,it’s far lower revving.

Provided you don’t mind the extra work I think you’ll be much happier with the Polini.

Look at the link(provided it works),failing that,do a search on Malossi 166 piston .A decent machine shop can do the nessecary.

If it’s got tit’s or tyre’s there’s trouble ahead.link

Hi Scott…so are you in tyne & wear mate…Armstrong’s had crossed my mind and i will pay them a visit as they have a good reputation up here.
What club you in…?

vespamalossi Im from the Durham County Scooter Club, but i also visit my old club the Northern faces S.C Every monday in whitley bay

JuanK thanks for the info on the 166 kit, i think mine is beyond repair it has a very deep score from the last owner where the circlip came out of the piston , I fancy the polini for it as the 152 on the T5 worked very well,

Scott

Cheers mate…i will look into that.[:drink:]