Need a bit help

Hi,

I’ve been riding a PX for a few years now, but I have never really gotten into working on it myself.
I recently replaced my (stolen) PX125 with an Italian import Px200.
It wasn’t in excellent shape, but it was cheap. I’ve had it serviced, and I had the crusiform replaced (I knew that was worn when I bought it). But it’s still not right. I’ve got a „flat spot“. When I rev it (mainly in 2nd and 3rd), I accelerate, at some point it feels like the engine doesn’t want to go for a couple of seconds, then it picks up again and accelerates fine. I’m tired now of spending loads of money with poor mechanics not sorting it out properly, so I’ve decided I’m going try to give it some attention myself.
I thought maybe the cause of this would be a dirty carb or blocked jet. It only had a service a couple of 100km ago, but I’ve only put a few tanks of petrol in, and maybe I’m thinking there was still some dirty fuel in the tank (the scooter hadn’t been ridden for a while).
Do you think that’s a fair assumption?
So I’m thinking of trying to rebuild the carb myself. I’ve never done anything like that, but I’ve found this guide online: Vespa P Series Maintenance & Repair

So 3 questions:

• Do you think it is a fair assesment and rebuilding the carb might fix the issue?
  • Do people think I should be able to do this without any previous experience?
  • I’m strugling to find which parts I need to order from SIP. I take I should replace all gaskets and the fuel filter while I’m at it. Can anybody point me to the things I need to order?

Many thanks in advance. I really want to get the scooter tip top for the Isle of Wight ralley, so a beer to everybody who helps me out! [;)]

dries.

Thanks Leif!
That sounds good. I’m not working next week, so I think I’ll pick a quite afternoon to do it and take my time [:)]

Thanks for the tip about the air mixture screw.

Ordering the parts now …

Are you going to the IoW? If so, let me know and I’ll get you a beer

[:drink:]

Clamp the hose!

Leif

Thanks for the tip. I will check this tomorrow.
Meanwhile, I just spoke to the guy I bought it from (he’s a mate). He had his buddy in Italy „sorting it out“ before selling it on to me. Now he said that it had a problem before where the engine would cut out when turning the handlebar to the extreme left. He reconned this was due to the wires being worn out and shorting. He also reconned he’d pathced them up with electrical tape well enough to last.
This could all make sense now as I just remembered that I also replaced the headlight bulb yesterday. I’ve yet to look, but I think what might have happened is that the wires were pulled when I changed the headlight bulb, then while I was turning in town while riding it, one may have broken or something. I’m thinking maybe I should change the wiring loom completely. The wiring in general is in pretty poor condition. I did check and clean the connections to the regulator and CDI before, and they seemed ok, but really badly corroded. The black protector around the wiring loom is also worn out on several places.
I was quite surprised to see the price of a new wiring loom, but it’s probably worth it in the long run I’d imagine.
Is it a difficult job to replace?
Also, while I do it, would it be worth replacing the CDI as a pre-caution? I hope they’re prone to braking as well, and they’re not overly expensive I thought?

• Do you think it is a fair assesment and rebuilding the carb might fix the issue?
    -Likely

• Do people think I should be able to do this without any previous experience?
    -Yes

• I’m strugling to find which parts I need to order from SIP. I take I should replace all gaskets and the fuel filter while I’m at it. Can anybody point me to the things I need to order?

in the guide
http://www.vespamaintenance.com/fuel/carbrebuild/index.html

Before you take the carb to pieces turn the air mixture screw to fully closed, counting number of turns and parts of turns, and write this down.

Leif

[:dance1:] [:dance1:]

Thanks!
No I wont, so I take a rain check on the beer![:drink:]

Leif

What a bummer … This is the moment I find out my fuel tap isn’t actually working.
It’s weird. The reserve works (I leave it on the middle until it stops running, then I can do some more km on full open. But when I try to close it, and leave it, the engine just keeps running.
I never really noticed as I never had to close it before, but how on earth can I fix this or rebuild the carb without spilling a full tank of fuel?

Dries.

My first port of call would be to check the connections on the CDI. The black box at the back of the engine (where the ht lead comes from. Gently remove the wires, and hold the spade connectors at the end of each wire and pull gently the wire. Youre looking for „stretch“ in the rubber sleeving indicating a broken wire (this would also cause the previous symptons). If they are ok try disconnecting the 2nd green wire from the CDI that goes to the loom )more plastic sleeving than rubber), this isolates the loom i.e. ignition switch to prove the loom isnt shorting. Both are very quick to check, and worthwhile on an import/ older scoot.

come on
surely somebody can answer at least 1 or 2 of the 3 questions? [;)]

Nobody for a beer at the IoW?

Dries.

Thanks!
No I wont, so I take a rain check on the beer![:drink:]

Don’t replace the CDI if it is working OK. The remaining life in the one you have might be longer than the life in a new one…

Leif

Thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking about that, but I was a bit worried about it snapping. I think I might try when I’ve got a not-so-full tank [;)]

But it’s getting worse though. I cleaned out the airfilter anyway, and I noticed the „head“ for the carb was a bit loose, so I tightened the 2 screws and put everything back together, and guess what, I think that might have been it. She was going like she never did. Engine running really smooth, heaps more power than before … until … at some point the engine just cut out alltogether. Checked the sparkplug, and it looked fine (only couple of weeks old). But there’s absolutely no spark whatsoever. Couldn’t get her going at all. I think it’s not related to the other issues, as it really seems something electrical. It was just like the ignition switch is just off or something. But I really don’t know about these electrics, so I think I may have to get somebody to look it over.

Not sure about the IoW now. I really would like to go, but not on a un-reliable scoot.

[:(]