Fitting a 28mm carb and polini gear up kit for PX125

Hi All,

How hard is Fitting a 28mm carb and polini gear up kit for PX125?

Is this something I should leave to a tuner.

Anyone know of any in Northern Ireland.

Regards,

Brian.

Ozzy,

What is your setup on your 125, what make of pipe are you using?

Regards,

Brian.

p.s.

the JL pipe seems popular, look on stoffi’s.com they have a polini177 and JL dyno’d at 19hp!! also in scootering this month (just to prove size doesn’t matter) there’s a malossi166 dyno’d at 23hp, and then detuned to save on clutches to a less pipey 22.5hp, this also used a JL, the pipe must be a good one as thats incredably powerful!!

HI BRIAN,
PERSONALLY IF A STANDARD PX125 I WOULD SAY A 28 MIL CARB IS A BIT EXCESSIVE, I AM ONLY LOOKING TO PUT A 24 MM IN WITH A MALOSSI 166 KIT, PRETTY SURE THERES ONLY A 24 MM IN A PX200…THANKS…MEESEY[:drink:]

PX125 casings, malossi 166, race crank, 30mil delorto with malossi reed block, t5 flywheel, standard clutch with uprated springs, t5 layshaft thingy ( for the little indents) and an simonini exhaust…

It goes really fast, the simonini pulls really well but doesn’t really have a kickarse feeling anywhere in the rev range, it also doesn’t allow the engine to over rev much, so it gets to about 65 really quickly then pulls slowly to 70+ and then won’t really go over about 73-4ish, however I stuck an old leovinici on to see what would happen and it revs alot higher, the power band is higher generally, its gutless low down but then surges high up and will over rev down hill and with a tail wind… this motor has the mounts chopped down and is in a small frame, the speedo is crap and I was sure of my top speed, slidingdog, followed me on the duel carriageway with the leovinci on and said I was doing about 76ish… thats really fast, espcially on a bodged homemade small frame contraption… however the leovinci is still only a cheap crap pipe, with the set up i have and a decent expansion, a hp4, and a cosa clutch I should be fully rockin’… I wouldn’ t expect much more top end, but just clutch munching acceleration,

[:)]

Hi Meesey,

I have PX125 disc with Polini177 cylinder kit and sito exhaust just now.

I am aiming to have the casings matched, polini upgear kit installed, bigger carb and SIP polished pipe bolted on.

I may have to send my engine to SIP or another tuner to get this done.

Any comments on this setup?

What Carb?

How fast will this scoot go?

Will it swallow the petrol?

Will I lose bottom end and torque?

Thanks for replies in advance.

Regards,

Brian.

I’f I were you I’d probably keep the standard gearing, I have standard ratios in my PX125 (166) and get about 75mph and 65-70 up hill, head wind all day… I think with any longer gearing you may find you struggle with head winds and hills. to get any advantage out of your 28mil carb you’ll need the tranfers matched and the inlet matched. the inlet gasses can only flow as easily as the most resrictive part of your induction system, if it is restriced anywhere then the carb won’t flow well enough to atomise the fuel properly and you’d be better off with a smaller carb… however if your doing all this then it’s cool… get the dremmel out and a set of files and get to work. it’s not that hard, slidingdog actually showed me how to do mine, we did the transfers and a reed valve in about an hour or so [:)]