Engine

If upgrading a VBB engine, is it better to go with a PX125/150 with 177kit, a PX 200E engine, or a t5 engine? Not looking to race just a solid and reliable performer.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. A t5 would probably run me about $50(US) more than a P200. Is it worth it, or is the difference between the two minimal? I was planning on using a Sito Plus with either. Just looking for solid, reliable performance.

Sb

The T5 is a great motor with loads of potential, but as standard MY experience is that it has less torque than a P2 (Not surprising at 75cc’s less.

Don’t take my word, this is what Taffspeed (really experienced scooter tuners and racers) have to say:

„The standard 125 motor gives impressive top end performance, but as standard the T5 suffers from lack of low speed torque. This results in difficulty in holding speed up hills and against head winds, especially when two-up or heavily loaded“

The T5 is a short stroke motor that gets power through generating higher rpm. The standard T5 cylinder is aluminium with a nicasil lining…beter cooling and harder wearing than standard (P2) cast iron cylinders…but it cannot be re-bored in the event of a serious seize. That said it is a fantastic piece of engineering and you can really wind it up to equal or beat standard P2s. The T5 crank is stronger and better than the P2 crank (but on standard machines that isn’t an issue. All T5 specific replacement parts seem to twice the price of their P2 equivelants. The T5 motor is great with the Malossi kit (I run one)

Where are you getting T5 motors and how much?

Oh yea The T5 standard exhaust is the pattern for Sito + pipes only will last 3 times as long

Vespandy

T5 as in 5 transfer ports as opposed to 3 on a PX that’s where your power is created, it creates a lot more power for a lot less cc. I can see where you’re coming from Andy and with Taffy backing up what you say, but I would still recommend a T5 lump ( a good one) fror loads more fun and less gassing up on the roads. As for the hills I reckon unless kitted that both engines will struggle on an incline or in heavy headwinds but with the P2 revving a lot lower than a T5 at high speed you will notice it more and drop off a lot quicker and a T5 is easily remedied by sticking a Simonini on it for the same price as a Sito plus which I DO agree on lasting about a year (if your’e lucky). At the end of the day it’s personal prefference so „yer pays yer money, yer takes yer chance“. Good luck whichever lump you choose.
:shoot1:[:dance3:]

HI THERE
I HAVE A T5 AND HAVE ‚PLAYED‘ AROUND WITH IT!!
I HAVE FITTED A 172 KIT(3000 MILES AGO) ALONG WITH A COSA CLUTCH,SIP PIPE AND 30MM DELORTO CARB.IT WAS DYNO’D AT REEDSPEED IN JUNE GIVING 17 ISH BHP.IT WILL SIT AT 70MPH(IT DID ON MONDAY COMING BACK ON THE M3 FROM IOW),BUT I WOULD SAY THAT CHANGING CARBS MAKES THE T5 LUMP VERY JUICY BECAUSE VESPA ENGINES RUN VERY FLAT.WHAT I MEAN IS THAT IT TAKES A WHILE FOR THE ENGINE TO REV UP,BUT WHEN IT DOES IT TAKES OFF!!.IF COULD SPEND MY MONEY AGAIN I WOULD GET JERRY AT REEDSPEED TO BUILD ME A 210 LUMP AS PARTS ARE ALOT CHEAPER THAN T5.MIND U I STILL GIVE 210 OWNERS A SURPRISE!!!

ALL THE BEST(HOW DEEP ARE YOUR POCKETS!!!)
JAMES [:smokin:] [:smokin:] [:smokin:] [:smokin:]

IMHO (In order of best first)

P2 (EFL) , T5, P2E (PreEFL), PX125 (EFL), PX125 (Pre EFL)

By EFL I mean with the later gearbox.

You can’t beat capacity (though the T5 is an exception…that’s what I have in my '69 GT…the P2 however has more guts standard)

Vespandy

Go for a T5 mate if you can get hold of one for decent money, better for torque and loads better on petrol. I have both engined scoots and find the T5 better all round, stick a malossi on it and you’ve got a rocket.
:shoot1:[:dance3:]

Sorry to bring the bad news mate…the Sito Plus (for all P models) is principally a copy of the original T5 exhaust, only in a cheaper material and lower quality build (that’s why it’ costs less) [:rolleyes:]

Scooteraider: Didn’t know the Simonini was a good fix as you say…I only ran a Leovinci before going fully tuned (Sip Pipe now)…that let it rev on really well but probably made the hills/headwind more of a problem.

Thanks all for the inputs. I think I will be going with a P200 in the end. Hope you work out the exhaust issues.

SB

I’ve had a Simonini on my t5 for the last 2 years and wasn’t really over the moon about it…at lower speeds it improved the acceleration(easy do 40mph in third) but I lost 8 miles an hour off my topspeed straight away…I tried all jet sizes etc…but it still wouldn’t do more than 60 top whack.It ran 68 with a standard pipe.They rust like buggery aswell…it’s not worth buying cheap pipes…they cost more in the long run replacing em’ etc…[:drink:]

andy, are you saying a standard T5 exhaust is the same as a Sito plus? but the standard one will last longer?
or am i not reading you right. cos i just ordered a sito plus for my T5 thinking it will last longer… [:(]

its ok,
i phoned back readspeed and jerry hadnt ordered the sito yet. so i just asked for a new T5 standard one[:)]