easy t5 tuning

i’ve got a t5 which i use mainly for nipping round on. I’m basicaly thinking of buying an exhaust for it to help when the missus is with me. Is it worth it for the amount of difference it will make or should i kit it? Can’t really afford both. I do like to fiddle for the sake of it (!) so maybe i’m better off leaving it as it is?[:bounce:] [:bounce:] [:dance3:]

It also sounds a bit clanky at tick over but is fine under load/ cruising.

Theyr’e a piece of piss to put on but don’t take it lightly and make sure to put the new small end bearing supplied on,also you will have to get your old head milled to suit else run the risk b***ing it up. I personally didn’t alter the timing at all, the only other alteration i made was to upjet the main jet to 122, apart from that it was left standard. :shoot1:[:dance3:]

brilliant! now thats the kind of work i like. piece of piss.cheers![:drink:] [:dance3:] [:rotate:]

Read the bit on running in then or you could be the one facing the ton up bill to replace engine parts again.Happy scootering.
:shoot1:[:dance3:]

If your on a limited budget an exhaust is the way to go. Get the Sito, they are good for the price.

[:roll:] [:shoot2:]

If the timing is set right and the oil mixture is correct how on earth is an alloy cylinder with a nicasil bore going to seize.
These kits are for racing, do you think they run track bikes in for 600 miles before they race them. Mersea island is a trip of 180 miles each way and it took me 3.5hours including fuel stops(every 40 miles:shock2[:)] so the old malossi got some thrash from word go. When i got there i put it on the dynojet rolling road and got a top speed of 87mph (with standard carb) So all you polini fans out there do your self a favour, get your hand in your pocket and buy a malossi. As for pinasco well im sure they go really well with that single transfer port . NOT!!! [:drink:] [:smokin:]

I’d run-in a cast-iron barrel for about 600 miles to be safe, but for an alu/nicasil malossi you could halve that and be safe.
Like bodichi says get the timing/ carburation right and you can thrash it all day.

My new Malossi 172 kit arrived today! Gonna fit it soon and the little bits of advice have given me a bit of confidence. I’ll be the one ton up down the by-pass!![:O] [:O]

OK. Apart from the kit and head it’s standard. The mallossi destructions say keep the timing standard, so I have.Bit more oil in the tank aswell. It does sound a bit more ‚clucky‘ but i expect that’s normal? It seems to go alright even with a couple of miles on it. The rubber bits between the t5 cylinder won’t fit the malo, does it really need them?

Personally i would go for a kit if you want to go twos up it will hold inclines a lot better than standard, but i think it needs an exhaust to show its full potential anyway. You might not notice much difference by just bolting the sito on but they are a good cheap alternative to a full power pipe which would also need a kit to be of any use to you me thinks. Obviously the best way to go is solo else you could end up with the missus on the back every time you go to a rally, unless thats what you want of course.

If I were you, I would prefere the Malossi kit. The kit is much expensiver than the Sito-exhaust but with the kit you will get aproxemately 4hp (30%!!!) more. The kit is reliable as the standard one and the main jet which is included to the kit fits perfect. When your exhaust wille be „dead“, you could buy a new one. I’m riding the 172cc Malossi for over 15000km in the last 8 months without any problems!

Best regards,

Markus[:bounce:] [:bounce:] [:bounce:]

brilliant! now thats the kind of work i like. piece of piss.cheers![:drink:] [:dance3:] [:rotate:]

You should expect to get 80+ with just the Mal and a sito plus, mine does and i’m a fat bastard, although a fly screen does help to keep the wind off me.:shoot1:[:dance3:]

Sorry I cant believe that, first 100 miles flat out, must have seized.

I FITTED A MALOSSI KIT TO MY T5 :stuck_out_tongue: JUST BE CARFUL WHEN BOLTING IT DOWN THE BOTTOM FINS ON MY KIT WHERE VERY CLOSE TO CATCHING THE FLYWHEEL AND WHEN EVERYTHING WARMED UP IT DID CATCH ,DIDNT DO ANY DAMAGE BUT SCARED THE SHIT OUT OF ME THOPUGHT ID b***N THE BOLO##S OUT OF THE ENGINE SHOUD THIS HAPPEN JUST TAKE A FILE TO THE BOTTOM FINS ON THE BARREL AND ALL WILL BE WELL[:dance3:] [:dance2:] [:dance1:]

Running in? Whats that? I ran my 210 in driving from my garage to the top of the street. Then rode it to mersea island and back at 75-80 mph without missing a beat.[:dance1:] [:shock1:]. Running in is for women and queers. he he. [:smokin:] [:drink:]

thanks for the advice. Think i will go for the kit when i get round to it.Are they easy to fit? I know my way round an engine but how exact do you have to get the timing? will i need a degree disc?;D [:D]

not once i’ve fitted the malo kit to her!!!