Easy engine break-in

hi
has anyone tried this engine break-in technique?
or have an opinion on it?

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

merry christmas and all that shiit
andrewavich

[:D]

Too late - Malossi all eased in nicely - but still very hesitant over 60.

Original von Li-Ralph: Don`t try this on a air-cooled 2-stroke engine. [/quote)

makes sense,
better safe than sorry…

Leif

[:dance1:] [:dance1:]

But the fact that using Miniral (rock) oil for breaking in, is VERY importent for a 2-stroke as well…

NEVER use semi/fully-symtetic oil for breaking in… it is too slippery…

Hi!
When more heat is created due to the friction of the new parts rougher surfaces, this extra heat is leaded away better in a water-cooled engine.
The 4-stroke engine have the barrel and main bearings lubricated with pure oil, not a oil petrol mixture.

As for running in rings, this is how I would do it, which doesn’t mean it is the best way.
Take it slow the first miles, then for 200 miles do not do not exceed 50 mph other than for short distances. Use the gears when going up hills so the engine doesn’t have to work hard. Do not rev the engine to high.
In short, don’t do anything thar result in increased engine temperature.
After that, for the next 100 miles, slowly increase the speed and the load.

Leif

[:dance1:] [:dance1:]

Definitely not for air cooled 2 strokes.

MMM very interesting. It doesn’t mention two strokes much though. I have heard of this before though and think its probably true.
Merry Christmas to you too[:D]

Don`t try this on a air-cooled 2-stroke engine.

Hi All,

So… why would this technique be bad for air cooled two strokes? Can someone please explain?

Also… just got soem new rings to put in the Malossi T5 kit. What is the latest on how people reckon i should run 'em in? How many miles or hours before i can really open her up? Should i keep the revs at a certain range?

Thanks and cheers to all,
Jonni[:drink:]

It’s always been said that if you don’t run a bike in it will be faster, but not as reliable. Don’t know how true this is.

I also noticed it didn’t mention 2 strokes.

The other thing I thought is, that this may be more applicable to new bikes than rebuilt engines. There are other reasons for taking it steady on a rebuilt bike. From speaking to more experienced riders / builders the consensus of opinion seems to be that the most likely time for a bike to experience problems is when it has been rebuilt, and it’s best to take it steady incase anything is too tight, not tight enough, especially on tuned engines when the jetting may not be perfect (like it should be on a new bike)

Just my thoughts, but I’m sure someone will disagree…