Clutch nightmare

I've got a '87 PX 200 with a clutch problem.  It's really an "on-off" clutch..there is no smooth transition when you want to get it going. it is really sudden, and if you try to engage slowly, it doesn't really help. still jumps like a crazy horse trying to throw you off.[:)]

The clutch disengages properly, so it is all good when moving at speed.

I have changed the cork plates in the clutch, but not the metal plates, and the problem is still there. I have also tried swapping the clutch cover for one I am 100 % sure is in working order to meke sure it is not the release arm.

Has anyone experienced this before?

[quote user="vespadoctor1"]you have to line the spring housing and basket up properly so the springs sit straight otherwise it will snatch. its said that you have to line up the hole in the basket and housing but usually if you do that its a bloody mile out so do it by eye[/quote]

I have always linend the holes, so that the springs are slightly off line, so that the clutch twists?!

which stops the snatch![:)]

why don´t you try the new style clutch? It features 4 plates, 8 springs and smooth operation:

http://sip.sipww3.de/pages/details.php?ID=9715&variationen=1&SID=d9dbdbe4bb6915fbee82f443d6e15865

you have to line the spring housing and basket up properly so the springs sit straight otherwise it will snatch. its said that you have to line up the hole in the basket and housing but usually if you do that its a bloody mile out so do it by eye

Ralf: I have tried to put on a Cosa clutch, it cured the snatch, but it would not release properly, so it was pulling even though you pulled the clutch in.. and this clutch is pretty new and worked just fine in another engine just two months ago.

I am pretty sure I took grate care with the springs when I reassembled the clutch, I'll have another go though...

Are the clutches really sensitive or what..?