Castle Nut Nightmare!

I am building a Malossi 210 engine for a friend.

On stripping his engine the dreaded castle nut was already in a poor state and despite having a brand new tool and two of us trying to hold in place it just keeps slipping due to the worn original nut.

Obviously the more we try the worse it is making the problem.

Has anyone got any clever ideas on how to get round this ??

The clutch and crank are being replaced so it doesn’t matter if they get damaged, just want to get the bloody thing out [?[]

A punch and hammer is the way to go on a castle nut, it will soon come off, with no f**k about

Original von BEERACE: Slidy, youre on for damaging crankcases where the circlip sits with an impacter, better to ruin a clutch than a casing

Whoops! forgot about that!
only done it once, and worked quite well, should keep my bodging to myself!!!
;D

Thanks for the replys everyone.

Its out with the drill tonight then !!!

IMPACT DRIVER!! a bar through the small end packed up on the case mouth (so it dosen’t mark)
If your replaceing the bearings and crank it wont matter,but it could bugger up the bearings and knock the crank off balance,
[:D]

Here:http://s4.invisionfree.com/ScooterboyWorld/index.php?act=idx

or:http://www.scooterboy-world.com/

Yeovil?
I think its next weekend!

Slidy, youre on for damaging crankcases where the circlip sits with an impacter, better to ruin a clutch than a casing

hello,

It happened to me few times a similar problem in different engine part or chassis.

I drilled one , two holes or three, the way beerace already suggested you.

It is not very fast, but it works all the time.

BE CAREFULL AT BREAKING DRILL POINT.
PROTECT YOUR EYES.!!!

Thanks Shaun, definately Yeovil, can only do saturday as I start college next week and will only be free saturday. sent you an email with my mobile number to arrange a meet. Ade.

Use a small (3-4mm) drill bit and drill between the high castlations in THREE places. if you only do it in two places it wont have room to move outwards and clear the threads on the crank. Do it carefully and you can save the clutch and crank only having ti replace lock washer and nut, which youd replace anyway. Go steady.

Shaun (SLIDINGDOG) my pc is having problems and I can`t get on scooterboyworld can you give me the address please? Thanks. Ade.