Cables...

I know it’s not very technical, but bear with me. NOOB!

Having problems with my gear an clutch cables.

I can’t get them tight, the clutch has got a lot of play, if i got them any tighter the clutch would be ready to change gear, the gear cables, hah, not a chance. These are very tight when i twist the the handle, there’s not much inner poking out, enough to get them into the clips in the selecter.

So could it be, the fact that i’ve greased the cables an not oiled them?

Please help, as i’ve almost got there. Any links to go through how to attach them proper, would be great.

Cheers in advance.

Hi im rubbish at posting links but if you try WWW.scooterhelp .com they have everything you need .

No worries diablo, i couldn’t find an answer on SH.com… Theres a piece on cables but it doesn’t go far enough. Cheers though.

Hi Avenger yes ive heard of people using mountain bike cables. Can you buy them and cut them to length yourself?

Novista, are you sure your scoot is in nuetral. It is possible especially on small frames to find a false nuetral between 3rd and 4th gear.

What bike is it?

I would advise you try teflon lined cable’s .

I agree with Juan, teflon coated inners are the way foward. I use shimano inners on my smallframe and they are sweet (very thin but very strong ).

just got som of the black teflon „jagwires“ for me lammy. Its classic mountainbike technology but a hell of a lot better than Pre ww2 scooter cables.

Rapidfire SIS gear cables make great throttle cables for your PHB dellortos, but you need to dremmel the nipple down a bit

Original von diablo: Thanks Avenger i'll try some. Novista: I don't work on that many smallframes so I cant remember which way the selector wheel(on the engine)turns to select 1st. What you have to do is lie the bike on its side so you can see the gear wheel clearly. Using a screwdriver push the gear wheel as far as it will go anti clockwise( you will need to rotate the rear hub a bit to help it into each gear. If you do it the the other wayas well (ie all the way clockwise)you will have found 1st and 4th gear and there will be a definite difference in how difficult it is to move the rear hub. 1st will be difficult, 4th easier. When you have found 1st one click back is nuetral. I have probably not explained this very well but have a go and get back to us.

Cheers diablo, i’ll give it a go over the weekend, as long as the weather gets better…

Thanks Avenger i’ll try some.
Novista: I don’t work on that many smallframes so I cant remember which way the selector wheel(on the engine)turns to select 1st. What you have to do is lie the bike on its side so you can see the gear wheel clearly. Using a screwdriver push the gear wheel as far as it will go anti clockwise( you will need to rotate the rear hub a bit to help it into each gear. If you do it the the other wayas well (ie all the way clockwise)you will have found 1st and 4th gear and there will be a definite difference in how difficult it is to move the rear hub. 1st will be difficult, 4th easier. When you have found 1st one click back is nuetral. I have probably not explained this very well but have a go and get back to us.

Try to put some grease around the tube under the steering head cover where the cables goes in, and on the cables too, for the clutch it’s very sharp to setup because for mine it was a question of one or two millimeters. All my cables are greased and not oiled so…

mikkke

Original von diablo: What bike is it?

PK 50 S.

Avenger,

Would MTB cables fit into a large framed Vespa? and if so what length should I be looking for? One more, are they suitable replacements for clutch,gears and throttle???

Cheers Grimesy

Original von diablo: Hi im rubbish at posting links but if you try WWW.scooterhelp .com they have everything you need .

Diablo,copy address and come back here.Select [URL] belowe posting box,paste into the pop-up box then put in your chosen description.[;)]

Original von diablo: Novista, are you sure your scoot is in nuetral. It is possible especially on small frames to find a false nuetral between 3rd and 4th gear.

How could i tell? It’s in neutral of some sort.

DIABLO, they cut dead easy with quality cable cutters, mtb rear brake cables will normally fit gearchange wheels, clutch and brake levers but make sure you check size of the nipples on original type cables in relation to the mtb replacements. mtb rapidfire type gearcables make excellent accelerator cables for larger PHB type carbs but as previously mentioned yuo will have to dremmel the nipple down to match the original cable.

Its all a matter of experimentation as there are tons of different bike cables out there.